Monday, January 30, 2006

Week 15

I am two weeks into my second trimester and the little nausea I was having is gone. I am now able, hold on to your hats, to stay awake until at least 9:00 p.m.! I know...I know... I party like a Rock Star; I need to get a handle on it.

At this point, I am like a walking science project. Around every corner, I find some interesting fact about the growth of Baby P. and me. So, my entry today is a factual update:

My Body:
At this point my heart is enlarged and working overtime. Its output has increased 20 percent from normal and, by the time I deliver, my heart will be working up to 50 percent more than normal to supply Baby P. and me oxygen. That should be a cardio workout in itself! ;-)

Both books I am reading instructed me to avoid sleeping on my back. My uterus now weighs enough that its full weight on the inferior 'vena cava' (the vein that transports blood from my lower body to the heart) could minimize blood flow to the placenta.

Baby P.:
Baby P. is about 1.75 ounces and is about 4 inches in length. His or her heart is growing strong and, even though it is little, it is pumping between 20 and 25 quarts of blood every 24 hours. By the time I deliver, Baby P. will be circulating up to 300 quarts of blood every 24 hours. He or she could even develop its future hairline pattern this week.

To see still and motion pictures of a fetus at Week 15, click here: http://www.pregnancy.org/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment2.php#week15

Enough facts for the day? ;-)
Until next time, C